Does this sounds like you?
You thrive in a collaborative, engaging, and fast-paced environment; even more, you relish the celebration of a win with your team! You feel strongly that RFQs/RFPs are like snowflakes: no two are the same, some fall fast and hard, and some should be allowed to flutter away and land elsewhere. Thankfully, for those you hope to catch, you are proactive, resourceful, and welcome the challenge of testing your multitasking skills against competing deadlines. Page limitations and selection criteria get your creative juices flowing. Your ability to think and plan strategically is matched only by your commitment to fix spelling and punctuation errors. You feel strongly that visual designs and persuasive graphics can tell a story as effectively as words; a background that includes work with landscape architects or architects may help you tell that graphic story. And your favorite mug reads “I’m silently correcting you’re your grammar.”
A typical week in the life of an Ascent proposal manager:
Ascent is looking for a proposal manager who is based in our Sacramento office and provides company-wide support. In a typical week, you may:
- Manage, coach, and support the pursuit team through the pursuit process from capture to interview
- Manage and oversee development of proposals and SOQs to ensure all deadlines are met, quality is sustained, and proposal packages are complete
- Interpret RFP/RFQ requirements and coordinate proposal response in partnership with pursuit teams to prepare responsive submittals, including coordination, writing, editing, and production of statements of qualifications, proposals, and presentations
- Evaluate and recommend enhancements to the firm’s pursuit process; participate in implementing approved enhancements in coordination with the marketing team and firm leadership
- Collaborate with the marketing and graphics teams to create concepts for and help produce promotional pieces (e.g., brochures, e-blasts, interview presentations, client presentations, website enhancements)
- Compose and edit narratives for marketing materials using creative and persuasive writing
- Gather, format, and maintain accurate, up-to-date firm information including staff biographies/resumes, project descriptions, statistics, and other information for marketing purposes
- Assist and support client managers with tracking and researching pursuit-related information
- Respond to incoming inquiries about marketing opportunities
- Stand firm as a guardian of the quality of Ascent marketing materials; ensure branded proposals and interview templates are accurately and consistently applied
- Coordinate regularly as a member of the marketing team about the week’s priorities and longer-term goals
- Brainstorm with your colleagues about the latest trends in marketing environmental and planning services, and help define those that apply to Ascent
- Plan and coordinate marketing-related events, including conferences
Is this how you would like to spend your week? If so, please read a bit more about our proposal manager position.
This is an exciting opportunity for a self-driven, collaborative, ambitious proposal manager to join our team and contribute to Ascent’s success and growth. We are seeking an experienced marketer skilled in developing technical proposals and qualification packages. Qualified candidates will have 5 to 10 years of experience as a marketing professional and an associate or bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism, marketing, business administration, environmental science, planning, landscape architecture, or a related field. The ideal candidate will have strong planning, organizational, and time management skills and be able to work and communicate effectively with diverse internal staff and teaming partners giving clear, concise directions. Our new team member will be able to work a flexible schedule, pitching in as needed to meet deadlines, while understanding that the firm values work-life balance and the importance of the whole person. Our proposal manager will be comfortable in an environment in which priorities frequently shift and, even when they do, will maintain attention to detail and high quality standards. Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and a working familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite, primarily InDesign and Illustrator, are required.
Ascent offers a supportive, fun, and intellectually challenging workplace environment with excellent benefits. We invest in our employees’ careers and welfare and strive to provide high-quality outcomes for our clients. We offer flexible hours, collegial teamwork, participation on important and challenging projects, opportunities to contribute to and join in service events for our local communities, and regular performance recognition. Our offices are located in Sacramento, Lake Tahoe, San Diego, and Oakland.
Ascent provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.