Does this describe you?
You have a background in graphic design and/or communications and experience working in the field of urban planning. You have an eye for good design and have the technical skills to bring to life your creative and innovative ideas. When you read dense pages of text, you imagine all the ways to communicate it better through creative layout, images, and infographics. You get energized by bouncing off ideas in collaborative brainstorming sessions with your teammates. You have a passion for community engagement and experience designing and implementing community engagement events, designed to gather meaningful input from the public. You are skilled at the Adobe Creative suite and can design and create logos, branding strategies, and collateral materials, such as fliers, posters, interactive engagement tools. You enjoy working with technical experts and policy wonks to communicate complex topics related to urban planning, housing policy, racial equity, and climate change to a broad audience. You want to be part of a firm that celebrates and embraces diversity, culture, environmental awareness, and sustainability.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Prepare high-quality, graphic-rich reports in inDesign and Microsoft Word
- Prepare graphics, fact sheets, boards, PowerPoint presentations, and other collateral materials for reports, project interviews, and community engagement events
- Develop and manage project websites and develop social media content
- Create project logos and branding guidelines for urban planning projects
- Help to plan and implement community engagement events using online and in-person engagement tools
If you're interested, here's a bit more:
We are seeking candidates to fill a full-time position in our Sacramento or San Diego office who have the following:
- 3-5 years of experience and a BA in communications, graphic design, urban design, and/or urban planning.
- Exceptional design skills such as the ability to communicate ideas with the latest digital tools, as well as strong document production and graphic design abilities.
- Advanced knowledge working with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Engaging interpersonal skills. Ability to work with others, develop creative solutions, and be collaborative as part of a fast-paced planning and design studio is of high importance.
Ascent offers a supportive, fun, and intellectually challenging workplace environment with excellent benefits. We invest in our employees’ careers and welfare and strive to provide high-quality outcomes for our clients. We offer flexible hours, collegial teamwork, participation on important and challenging projects, opportunities to contribute to and join in service events for our local communities, and regular performance recognition.
Ascent provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.