Is this you?
CEQA and/or NEPA are exciting environmental laws to you. You might even dub yourself a “CEQA Geek” or “NEPA Nerd.” You love helping clients anticipate issues, avoid or solve problems, and define environmental compliance strategies. You are experienced in effectively managing environmental compliance and planning projects. Owning the responsibility for medium to large, complex environmental documents is in your comfort zone, including quality assurance, client management, schedule and budget management, and team coordination. To keep up with CEQA and NEPA, you follow court decisions and participate regularly in CEQA updates. Your personal copy of the CEQA statute and guidelines is dog-eared and coffee-stained. You also are a student of one or more key environmental issues, like land use planning, water, energy, or climate change. Either with a technical specialty from the range of environmental topics in an EIR or EIS, or as a generalist, your skills are excellent for analytical thinking, writing, relationship building, and translating technical material into forms suitable for decision makers and the public. Your past success also includes business development, proposal writing, and networking with prospective clients. Your attitude is positive and your personality is caring.
Here’s what you would do:
We are seeking to fill this position in our Sacramento office. In a typical week as an Ascent Senior Environmental Project Manager, you might:
- Work with clients on their most important, often complex and challenging environmental planning documents
- Collaborate closely with Ascent principals, who support you in carrying out projects
- Team up, shoulder-to-shoulder, with a knowledgeable, interdisciplinary group of Ascent professionals in the Sacramento, Bay Area, Lake Tahoe, or San Diego, including an assistant project manager who helps you with coordination efforts
- Communicate directly with clients, regulatory agencies, subconsultants, and stakeholders to understand and address a broad range of perspectives
- Prepare budgets and schedules, and carry out project work within agreed time frames and contract price
- Create, with your team, high-quality environmental and planning documents
- Provide senior review of documents, with attention to completeness, legal adequacy, technical accuracy, and readability
- Represent Ascent and our clients at public meetings, workshops, and open houses
- Contribute to and lead business development activities, including proposal preparation and relationship building with existing and prospective clients
- Participate in professional associations, such as speaking at conferences
- Contribute to the mentoring and skill development of more junior staff
- Enjoy social and community service events, and the camaraderie of being an Ascentian
If all this feels right to you, here is a little more about our Senior Environmental Project Manager position:
We are seeking candidates who enjoy environmental planning and impact analysis and have a BS/MS in planning, environmental studies, geography, natural resources, physical sciences, or related field, along with about 7 to 10 years of experience. Professional qualifications include project management, CEQA/NEPA expertise, writing and analytical skills, and engaging interpersonal skills. A record of successful environmental planning projects and working relationships with clients and regulatory agencies are needed.
Ascent offers a supportive, fun, and intellectually challenging workplace environment and excellent benefits. We invest in our employees’ careers and welfare and strive to provide high-quality outcomes for our clients. We offer flexible hours, teamwork participation on important and challenging projects, opportunities to contribute to and join in service events for our local communities, and regular performance recognition.
Please e-mail a letter of interest and your resume to: email@example.com