Is this you?
CEQA and NEPA are exciting environmental laws to you. You might even dub yourself a “CEQA Geek” or “NEPA Nerd.” You love helping clients anticipate issues, avoid or solve problems, and define environmental compliance strategies. You are experienced in effectively keeping clients happy when carrying out environmental compliance and planning projects. Mentoring and leading other professionals is a joy. Your network among Bay Area agencies is strong. Your environmental skill set covers a range of sectors, like land use/community planning, urban development, water resources, and/or transportation.
Owning the management responsibility for medium to large, complex environmental documents is in your comfort zone, including quality assurance, schedule and budget compliance, and team coordination. To keep up with CEQA and NEPA, you follow court decisions and participate regularly in CEQA updates. Your personal copy of CEQA and the CEQA Guidelines is dog-eared and coffee-stained (or, if it is a pdf file, it is a fixture on your taskbar). You are adept at thinking, writing, relationship building, and translating technical material into forms suitable for decision makers and the public. Your past success also includes business development, proposal writing, and networking with prospective clients. Your attitude is positive, and your personality is caring.
Here’s what you would do:
We are seeking to fill this leadership position for the Bay Area region, based in our Oakland office. In a typical week as the Bay Area Senior Environmental Director, you might:
- Lead and contribute to business development activities, including proposal preparation and relationship building with prospective clients in the Bay Area and beyond
- Help foster and guide Oakland office growth
- Work with clients on their most important, sometimes first-of-its-kind, complex, and challenging environmental planning documents
- Team up shoulder-to-shoulder with a knowledgeable, interdisciplinary group of Ascent professionals in the Bay Area, including coaching and leading the local staff
- Collaborate closely with Ascent principals, office leaders, practice experts, and staff in other offices, who also support your work
- Communicate directly with clients, regulatory agencies, subconsultants, and stakeholders to understand and address a broad range of perspectives
- Create, with your team, high-quality environmental and planning documents
- Prepare budgets and schedules, and carry out project work within agreed time frames and contract price
- Provide senior review of documents, with attention to completeness, legal adequacy, technical accuracy, and readability
- Represent Ascent and our clients at public meetings, workshops, and open houses
- Participate in professional associations, such as speaking at conferences
- Contribute to growing the careers of the Bay Area team
- Enjoy social and community service events, and the camaraderie of being an Ascentian
If all this feels right to you, here is a little more about our Senior Environmental Director position:
We are seeking a candidate who enjoys environmental planning and impact analysis and has a BS/MS in planning, environmental studies, geography, natural resources, physical sciences, or related field, along with 10+ years of experience. Professional qualifications include client and project management, CEQA/NEPA expertise, writing and analytical skills, and engaging interpersonal skills. A record of successful environmental planning projects and a history of strong relationships with clients and regulatory agencies are needed.
Ascent Environmental is a dynamic environmental, natural resources, climate change, urban design, and planning consultancy headquartered in Sacramento, California. With offices in Oakland, Lake Tahoe, and San Diego, we work throughout California and the Western United States. Our clients most often seek our assistance with their high-priority projects, particularly when faced with unusual compliance situations, complicated project issues, or first-of-its-kind undertakings where no precedent exists. We offer a supportive, fun, and intellectually challenging workplace environment and excellent benefits. We invest in our employees’ careers and welfare and strive to provide high-quality outcomes for our clients. We offer flexible hours, teamwork participation on important and challenging projects, opportunities to contribute to and join in service events for our local communities, and regular performance recognition.
Please e-mail a letter of interest and your resume to: email@example.com
Ascent provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.