Are you an Air Quality/GHG/Climate Change Nerd?
When people talk about CAPs, you ask whether they are discussing criteria air pollutants or climate action plans. You have a t-shirt that reads, “Question CalEEMod.” You excel at Excel. Brainstorming how to address post-2020 greenhouse gas targets in CEQA at happy hour is fun. You can perform complex calculations and clearly write the story about the results. You downloaded Safeguarding California – Reducing Climate Risk to keep on your desktop. You can readily explain TAC, NAAQS, AQMD, CARB, GHG, BAU, CEQA, EIR, MND, SLR, and IPCC to your non-air quality/GHG/climate change nerd friends. You know why AB 32, SB 97, SB 375, E0 B-30-15, and the Scoping Plan are important. You’re curious, caring, collegial, collaborative, career-oriented, and committed to quality.
Typical week in the life of an Ascent Air Quality/GHG/Climate Change Specialist:
Ascent is seeking an Air Quality/GHG/Climate Change Specialist to join our environmental practice based in Sacramento, Bay Area, or San Diego. You will be working as part of the Air Quality/GHG/Climate Change services team to:
- Prepare interesting and complex environmental, climate change, and regulatory analyses for a wide variety of projects throughout California
- Team up with project managers, principals, and air quality/GHG/climate change colleagues on all your projects
- Discuss project impact, mitigation, and climate action planning ideas with recognized statewide leaders in air quality, climate change, and CEQA/NEPA
- Work for clients like the Air Resources Board, Attorney General’s Office, major regional air districts, and cities and counties
- Run models and author analytical sections of CEQA and NEPA documents
- Research the latest climate data downscaling methods
- Make friends with CalEEMod, Cal-Adapt, and HARP 2
- Team tackle a broad range of air quality and climate issues, including leading-edge thinking
- Figure out a better way to account for changes in carbon sequestration
- Enjoy social times with co-workers at Happy Lunches, themed happy hours, Halloween parades, and Pi Day Pie Contests
If this work could be a fit for you, please read a bit more about our Air Quality/GHG/Climate Change Specialist Position:
We are seeking a candidate with a passion for air quality, GHG, and climate change issues who would conduct technical analyses (e.g., quantification of criteria, toxic, and greenhouse gas emissions); modeling of stationary, area, and mobile sources; climate action and adaptation planning; and writing of technical and planning report sections. Projects may include CEQA and NEPA documents, community plans, climate action plans, GHG reduction strategies, health risk assessments, community risk reduction plans, and other related projects. Noise impact experience is a plus.
Qualifications include a BS or higher degree in atmospheric science, environmental science, math, environmental policy, sustainability, or a related field with 2 - 4 years of relevant experience. Strong analytical, computer, and writing skills are a must. Spreadsheet and database software skills are also desired. The successful candidate will be hard working, conscientious, interpersonally skilled, and team-oriented.
Ascent offers a supportive, fun, and intellectually challenging workplace environment with excellent benefits. We invest in our employees’ careers and welfare and strive to provide high-quality outcomes for our clients. We offer flexible hours, collegial teamwork, participation in important and challenging projects, opportunities to contribute to and join in community service events, and regular performance recognition.
Please e-mail a letter of interest and your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org